So today's the last day before all the educational craziness begins...I'm up tomorrow morning for a meeting at 7:30 with all the other MOMs (Masters in Medicine students) then we have classes starting at 9. To be honest, I'm excited for classes to start. I'm ready to get into a routine, (hopefully) to be super productive, and to finally see what anatomy lab is all about. I feel like I was bored in undergrad classes & there weren't too many science classes I took with super dynamic lecturers who were really excited about what they were teaching & invested in their students mastering the subject material. The professors here are literally the people who wrote the book on a lot of the most amazing science & I'm excited to learn everything I can from those people. Of course, I'm a little nervous about how brilliant everyone else is so I'm just adhering to one of my favorite quotes..."Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." Not to say that everyone else won't be working their butts off here too, I'm just going to try to work a little bit harder :)
In other news, when is it okay to be an old lady exactly? There's been two parties this weekend (one Friday after the stethoscope ceremony for the MD peeps & one last night) & I feel like like my partying days are pretty much over. I think I wore myself out junior year of undergrad...or maybe that was all the partying I was destined to do? I like doing old people things like sitting at home watching all the seasons of 24 on Netflix (WHY HASN'T ANYONE EXPLAINED NETFLIX TO ME UNTIL NOW?!) or hammering a cork into a bottle of Moscato so I can drink a glass of it with my homemade chocolate-covered strawberries.
...yes, I actually did that. I don't have a corkscrew!
I went to the party on Saturday night & I'm really glad I did so I could hang out with my camping group and meet some of the 2nd and 3rd year med students. But I think I'm pretty much over the whole dancing awkwardly in a circle to the newest tunes thing that we college-aged people like to do. I don't really get it? I think when it comes to partying preferences, I'm definitely more of a grad student. Wine + movies/good tv + friends = party for Jazz. & I'm okay with that. I just don't want to be IMMEDIATELY labeled as the boring one...I'll at least wait a couple of weeks to explain all my weird idiosyncrasies.
Last thing - I'm loving my bike! It's a cruiser & my thigh muscles (or lack thereof) are definitely not used to working out every day but it's so relaxing to ride from one place to another. Very NorCal! I'm hoping to get into San Francisco & explore soon-ish too, we'll see what happens :) I'm off to finish the rest of my Sunday to-do list (finish laundry, wash dishes, hang pictures, read through slides for tomorrow, ride my bike & sleep). Miss you guys!!
<3
a) i'm totally on board with your lazy/gradstudent definition of party. i'll even bring a corkscrew! though moscato with floating piece of cork does sound memorable...
ReplyDeleteb) i'm super jealous of your pending schedule and routine! i'm even jealous of "reading through slides for tomorrow." is this nerdy? yes, indeed :)
miss you!
Honey why don't you buy a cork screw!!! They are about $1.99. I'm loving your wine drinking :)
ReplyDelete